I’ve been making these sausage rolls for years and it’s basically just a throw allllllllllll my fridge contents into a high speed blender kinda recipe. So easy and they are devoured every time! The ingredients list changes every time I make these so the following is just a basic recipe – change up to suit your own/kids tastes…Some examples of things I’ve added before – peas, feta, chilli, parmesan, broccoli, cauliflower, capsicum (although I wasn’t a fan with the capsicum added!)! Great to freeze either cooked or raw and pull out when needed. This recipe makes about 35-40 bite size sausage rolls.
- 500g sausage meat (I generally use beef)
- 1 large/2 small zucchini
- 1 large/2 small brown onions
- 1 large/2 small carrots
- Handful of mushrooms
- 1 stick of celery
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 1.5 tbs barbecue sauce (or tomato/HP sauce)
- Around 5/6 sheets of puff pastry – cut in half
- 1 egg for brushing top of pastry
- Sesame/poppy seeds for sprinkling – optional
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line a large baking tray with baking paper.
2. Throw veg into a high speed mixer and blitz until you reach desired consistency – I blitz to quite small pieces to make a smoother filling rather than chunky.
3. Add meat, herbs and sauce and mix until fully blended.
4. Use one half of the puff pastry sheet, brush one long edge with whisked egg, and spoon filling along the other long edge of pastry
5. Roll into a log, brush top of pastry with whisked egg, sprinkle with sesame seeds/poppy seeds, if using and cut into desired size
6. Bake in oven for approximately 35 minutes or until golden brown.
7. Try not to burn your mouth scoffing them all down fresh out of the oven!